Veggie tots work beautifully to use up not-so-fresh produce and make a really nice nibble for little fingers.
Lockdown has had me even more laser focused than usual on limiting food waste. But invariably there will be a handful of not-so-fresh odds and ends, veggie tots work wonderfully to mop these up and are a great make ahead option to pop in the fridge or freezer.
Baby D is 9 months old and a big fan of finger foods – these little cheesy veggie bites have been a great hit!
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 cup grated carrot or cauliflower or broccoli
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ cup grated cheddar, gouda or mozzarella cheese
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1 egg
- salt* and pepper, to season
Combine all the ingredients (bowl with a wooden spoon is perfect).
Shape into tots (or nuggets or bites) and place on a lined baking sheet, I use a 1½ tablespoon ice-cream scoop to speed up portioning them out.
Bake at 180°C for 30 minutes.
* leave out the salt for babies under the age of 1 year.
Substitution Options: this recipe is very forgiving
– swap in 1 teaspoon of fresh crushed garlic for the ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
– swap in 1 tablespoon fresh parsley for 1 teaspoon dried parsley
– use grated zucchini or sweet potato