With Easter and the long weekend around the corner, I thought I’d share my top tips for chocoholics. I am a very strong advocate of everything in moderation. Too much of anything isn’t good for you! I normally recommend you aim for an 80:20 split, where 80% of the time you choose healthy food and drink options, leaving 20% of the time for treats. So, chocolate, like all things, can be planned into a healthy diet, in moderation.
Top tips for chocoholics:
1. Choose plainer chocolate options: Eliminate the biscuit, nuts, toffee, nougat, etc.
2. Choose darker options: Although similar in calories to milk chocolate, darker chocolate has a higher percentage cocoa, which means more antioxidants. Dark chocolate is also richer, more decadent tasting, helping you to keep your portion small.
3. Try some of these options to sort out a chocolate craving:
- 1 or 2 choc-coated digestive bics OR
- A chocolate flavoured breakfast bar OR
- Chocolate protein shake in water OR
- Try LITE hot chocolate with skim milk & water OR
- 1 or 2 squares of dark chocolate OR
- Cottage cheese with chocolate whey and plain yoghurt – tastes like chocolate mousse