M is not mad keen on plain old rice, he eats it (bless him he eats everything) but it’s never his go-to – this jazzed up spicy rice version though was a real win! Great served with grilled chicken, meat or seafood, it’s quick & easy and perfect to jazz up a midweek dinner.
This recipe is borne of a serious case of the “what’s for dinner’s” last week. Luckily M volunteered to braai some seafood we had in the freezer (his speciality) and we decided a spicy rice side and salad would finish the meal off. I have definitely eaten more than my fair share of spicy rice (I love Nando’s :)) but had never made it before. A quick google search and here we have a mash-up of the flavours and recipes I liked.
I also absolutely love when you decide to try something and there’s not trip to the supermarket required – everything I needed was in my pantry / freezer – big win! Oil, onion, garlic, assorted spices, rice and frozen peas – DONE! As an aside, I do think is would also my yummy with fresh chopped peppers (any colour that takes your fancy).
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- pinch of curry powder (I use medium hot)
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 cup rice
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- salt & pepper to season
- ½ cup frozen peas
- Saute the onion, garlic, turmeric, paprika, curry powder and cayenne pepper in oil or butter until softened and fragrant.
- Add the rice and stock, season with salt and pepper, stir and simmer for 20 minutes
- Add the frozen peas and simmer for a further 5 minutes