I spotted this recipe in the Today’s Dietitian Magazine. When, later that week, I stumbled on a pack of 3 artichokes for R6 at my local fruit and veg., I couldn’t resist giving it a try.
I loved it – tasty, different, satisfying and easy! Here is the recipe:
- 3 artichokes
- ¼ cup olive oil (divided)
- 225 g wholewheat pasta
- 4 fresh (± 1 cup roasted) red peppers
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- ½ teaspoon crushed dried chili flakes
- ¼ cup vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon dried oreganum
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- salt and pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Clean and quarter the artichokes (make sure to remove the tough outer leaves and fuzzy insides). Chop the red peppers into chunks.
- Place the artichokes and peppers on a baking sheet – rub with 1 teaspoon olive oil and salt and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the artichokes are tender and the peppers blistered.
- Once cooled slightly, remove remaining leaves of the artichoke and cut away the artichoke hearts and peel the skin off the pepper.
- Cook the pasta as per directions on the package and drain.
- Use a blender to combine the peppers, artichoke hearts, garlic, chili, vegetable stock, olive oil and oreganum until smooth.
- Add the feta and season with salt and pepper to taste. Pulse to combine.
- Combine the pasta and sauce in a pan on medium heat and heat through.
- Divide into four bowls and serve.