Nothing says winter warming, comfort food to me quite like a hearty homemade soup! I’ve posted a smooth, pureed winter veggie soup recipe before, this time round it’s a chunky minestrone soup adapted from the newest addition to my recipe book collection (Simply Good Food by Justine Drake).
Veggie soup is such a lovely way to entice kids (big and small) to get in their five-a-day. It freezes very well – making for a great quick standby supper and is also very versatile, check out the variation ideas below the recipe.
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 x 410g tin tomatoes (I puree 1 can and chop the other)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley or 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 50g spinach, shredded
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Sauté onions, garlic, carrots and celery in the oil and water until soft and brown.
- Add tomatoes, stock, sugar and parsley.
- Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to simmer for 40 minutes.
- Add the spinach 5 minutes before the end of cooking time.
- Season well with salt and pepper and serve.