I include seeds a lot in my diet and in cooking – bars, salads or as a snack on their own – they are a great way to add flavour, texture and nutrients to a dish. Todays recipe is a breakfast staple in my home: Homemade Toasted Mixed Seeds & Nuts Muesli for this month’s Recipe ReDux theme – Sowing Seasonal Seeds:
“Whether it’s a chilled chia seed pudding or a hearty roasted vegetable salad with a sunflower seed crunch, show us how you sow your favorite seeds in a recipe reflecting the season in your part of the globe.”
The recipe makes five 40 gram muesli servings, perfect for one for the week but can easily be doubled or tripled allowing you to make ahead for as many as you need at a time or as a lovely gift for a friend.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons pecan nuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flaked almonds
- 2 tablespoons seeds (e.g. pumpkin, sunflower, flaxseeds or a mixture)
- 2 tablespoons cranberries, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon desiccated coconut
Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and then spread out on a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
Bake at 180°C for 10 – 12 minutes, toss once or twice, or until the muesli is evenly golden brown and fragrant.
Allow to cool an then store in an airtight container.
- Serve raw, it is not necessary to toast your muesli mixture in the oven, you can enjoy it raw with milk or yoghurt.
- Add 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, ground ginger or citrus zest.