There’s nothing quite like homemade pot pie and salad for a Summer evening meal if you ask me, and chicken & mushroom pie is definitely my favourite. To give it a healthy twist, I leave out a pastry base just focusing on a lovely crispy pastry top. This also means I don’t have to worry about a soggy bottom – see there a sneaky little Paul Hollywood Bake Off reference 😉
I think we all love a good ole leftover roast chicken sarmie, but I love this recipe for repurposing leftover Sunday roast into a whole new dish. With ready cooked chicken, chicken & mushroom pie is quick to throw together for a delicious, homemade weeknight meal.
- ½ a cooked chicken, cubed/diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 125 g (1/2 a punnet) button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons chicken stock powder
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup milk (I use low fat)
- 200 g (1/2 a 400 g packet) ready-made puff pastry
- salt and pepper to season
- egg/milk to brush the pastry
- Sauté the onion and mushrooms in olive oil until soft.
- Add the water and stock powder.
- Stir through the flour, then add the milk and stir to thicken.
- Stir through the chicken and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a pie dish.
- Roll out the pastry to cover the dish. Cover the filling with pastry, trim any excess from the edges and use a fork to crimp the edge of the pastry to the edge of the dish (or you can flute the pastry edge with your fingers). I also make a small hole or cross in the centre to allow steam to escape.
- Brush with egg or milk and bake at 200°C for 25 minutes (or until the pastry is puffy, golden and delicious).