This months Recipe ReDux is “Two for One”
We’re all about cooking once and eating twice. In short, double dinners are better. Show us how you take a favorite recipe already on your blog – and ReDux the leftovers into a new dish. Or, whip up a new healthy recipe and give suggestions on how to make it a second meal. For example, slow cooker pot roast could become shredded beef tacos; or grilled chicken breasts might morph into chicken salad.
I love this month’s theme – cook once, eat twice dinners are perfect for busy week’s or when you need a night off. Curries are one of my favourite “two for one” options as they often taste even better the next day as the ingredients have had a chance to get to know eat other. The Chicken & Chickpea Curry recipe I’m sharing this month is an old favourite, I actually made it first for a freezer-meal home economics project in high school. I usually serve it with basmati rice and sambals on night one and in a wholewheat wrap with cottage cheese or guacamole, shredded lettuce, and chopped tomato & cucumber on night two. The curry also freezes very well.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon crushed ginger
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) mild or medium curry powder (taste preference)
- 8 deboned, skin-less chicken thighs, cubed
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh coriander, to garnish
- Saute the garlic, ginger and onion in oil.
- Add the curry powder, chicken, tomatoes and chickpeas.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine well
- Cover and simmer gently for 40 minutes.
- Serve or refrigerate / freeze (once cooled).
Don’t forget to check out links to fellow ReDux’ers posts below…