This month’s Recipe ReDux theme is “Have Snacks. Will Travel.”
“Sometimes, the food is the best part of the journey. Be it business travel or a road trip for pleasure, share your favorite travel snacks/mini meals. Do you pack a special treat for the road to eat in the car or at rest stops? Or do you have a tried & true snack that makes it safely through airport security? Share your healthy recipe for road trip nourishment.”
Talk about good timing – my other half and I have just got back from a road trip to attend my high school reunion, what a fantastic day! The trip takes about 6 hours, so to minimize stops and avoid the temptation of takeaways, we generally take snacks in the car with us. We have also been meaning to defrost our fridge and freezer for a while so we’ve been running down our food stocks to the bare minimum (and stashing what’s left at my mom’s) – cheese muffins helped me finish up the last of our cheese and butter and made for a lovely nibble on the road. What a satisfying feeling, a newly defrosted, sparkling clean fridge and freezer is!! For our trip I packed: cheese & herb muffins with what was left of a tub of low fat, chunky cottage cheese and travel mugs of coffee.
- ½ cup wholewheat flour
- ½ cup cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 100g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, parsley or basil, chopped
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Combine the flours, baking powder, mustard powder and salt.
- Add the chives and cheese.
- In another bowl, whisk egg, milk, melted butter.
- Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Spoon into greased muffin tins and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°C for 12 – 15 minutes.
- Serve warm.
For more tasty muffin recipes check out the Dish & Delite Muffins Archive.