For this month’s Recipe ReDux the theme is Rise and Shine with a Savory Breakfast
The trend of protein-packed breakfasts is catching on…and back-to-school time is looming. This month, show us new healthy takes on eating savory or dinner-inspired dishes for breakfast. Think egg burritos, beans and rice, or maybe even pasta?!
I’ve talked before about our love for breakfast-for-dinner (BFD) around here (Spiralized Potato Breakfast Hash and Egg, Spinach & Mushroom Quesadillas are some of our favourites), but I have to say the reverse, dinner-for-breakfast isn’t something I’d really thought much of before… and why not? Savoury or dinner-inspired breakfast is such a great idea to add variety, veggies and protein to your morning meal!
As it happens I already had a surplus of veggies when my sister went away for three weeks and gifted us all her leftover produce, so I was applying my mind to coming up with ways to incorporate veggies into as many meals as possible. I ended up getting a beef stew, minestrone soup and this breakfast ratatouille out of my veggie haul. I love that breakfast ratatouille allows you to pack your morning meal with veggies – I feel like it really gets your day off on the right foot…
Another reason I love ratatouille – it’s just so versatile. It can be served hot, room temperature or even cold. You can make it ahead, cool and serve it the following day — I think the flavor may even be better the next day. Some ideas for uses of this big batch of ratatouille:
– alongside fresh crusty bread, topped with 1-2 fried eggs for protein punch and enjoyed for breakfast to feed a crowd (as below)
– enjoy over pasta, brown rice, quinoa or couscous
– tuck into a wholewheat wrap with cheese and lean beef/chicken
– it actually really works well as a side for practically everything: grilled meat, fish, chicken…
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 7 cups of diced vegetables (mixture of: red & yellow peppers, zucchini, fresh tomatoes, celery and eggplant)
- 1 tin (410g) chopped peeled tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oreganum
- salt and pepper, to season
- 1-2 fried eggs per person served, as desired
- fresh crusty bread and basil (optional), to serve
Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based pot or pan. Add the onion and garlic and cook until translucent.
Add the diced mixed vegetables and saute to soften (5 minutes or so).
Add the tinned tomatoes, sugar and oreganum and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally, then reduce heat, partially cover, and cook at a gentle simmer until vegetables are tender but not mushy (about 20 minutes).
Just before serving fry 1-2 eggs per person.
Serve ratatouille topped with egg(s) and fresh basil (optional) with a slice of crusted bread on the side.
Ooo and don’t forget to check out all the yummy recipes on this month’s theme from fellow ReDuxers (link below).