It has been blisteringly cold in Joburg! There is nothing that warms and leaves you feeling satisfied quite like a hearty stew. This combination of beef, mushrooms and beer is rich and decadent tasting and an absolute favourite of mine.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 400 g beef stewing steak, cubed
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 250 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 250 g portabellini mushrooms, sliced
- 440 ml beer
- 1 beef stock cube or stock powder as per instructions for 440ml liquid
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 tablespoon bisto
- salt and pepper, to season
- Brown the onions, steak cubes (seasoned and dredged in flour) and mushrooms (I do this in stages to avoid overcrowding the pan).
- Combine all the ingredients, except the bisto, in a oven-proof casserole dish and oven stew at 140°C for 3½ hours.
- Dissolve the bisto in a dash of cold water and stir into the stew.
- Simmer on the stove or return to the oven for a further 30 minutes.
Combine all the ingredients, except the bisto, in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
To make in a WONDERBAG, replace step 2 with:
Combine all the ingredients, except the bisto, in a heavy-based lidded pot and bring to the boil on the stove, then place your lidded pot in the Wonderbag for a minimum of 4 hours to finish cooking (can easily be left all day).