Beef, lentil and carrot meatballs are a versatile family favourite.
We’ve had a bit of a run on meatballs over here. H loves them and all sorts of varieties have quickly made their way onto our family favourites list. Beef, lentil and carrot meatballs keep everyone happy – both boys love carrots, I love the fibre boost from the lentils and the combo extends the mince nicely for a budget-friendly (and in fact, freezer friendly – uncooked meatballs freeze beautifully!) dish.
We enjoy meatballs in: spaghetti & meatballs (pasta sauce recipe coming really soon – like as soon as I can snap a photo), in meatball subs (check out Sally from Real Mom Nutritions recipe) and just plain with “dipper sauce” for snacks or lunchboxes.
- 500 g beef mince
- 1 tin (400g, 244g drained) lentils, drained and rinsed
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup grated carrot (approx. 1 large)
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- ½ tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- salt & pepper, to season
In a bowl, combine all the meatball ingredietns and mix well.
Once well combined, shape 1 tablespoon sized meatballs (an ice-cream scoop makes this quicker and easier).
Transfer the meatballs to a greased baking tray or dish and bake at 180°C for 30 minutes until golden and cooked through (you can switch to grill at the end to brown).
– swap in ½ teaspoon of garlic powder for the 1 teaspoon of fresh crushed garlic
– swap in ½ teaspoon dried parsley for the ½ tablespoon fresh parsley