Last Friday I finally decided to give live streaming video a try with a Facebook Live broadcast (I’ve been toying with the idea for a while now and watching fellow RDs and bloggers to pick up tips). Wow what a rush! Overall, it was really fun (although I did say 3 cups of soup when I meant 300 ml of soup at one point…), I enjoyed it and hope to do more live videos – so watch this space…
Also be sure to pop in the comments any topics you’d like covered. I love that live video offers viewers a chance to join in and shape the discussion with questions and comments. It also takes some of the pressure off, in that viewers don’t expect super high production value – a tripod, smartphone and smile – is enough to get you started.
You can check out the video here, or I’ve summed up the tips and links for you below:
Nutritious and delicious soup topping ideas:
- Roasted spicy chickpeas
- Baked wrap chips
- Seeds (raw or toasted and spiced)
- Fresh herbs e.g. basil, parsley, thyme…
- Homemade croutons (Skinnytaste’s recipe looks divine)
- Thinly sliced or spiralised fresh fruit or veg e.g. apple, carrots, cucumber, zucchini, peppers
Tips for freezing soups, stews or stocks in a mason jar:
- Don’t overfill your jar, leave plenty of ‘headspace’, about 2.5 cm (or 1 inch)
- Cool completely before putting the lid on
- Freeze for 4 – 6 months
Packed lunch hack:
My packed lunch soup is in a 16 oz / pint Ball Preserving & Recipes South Africa mason jar using an empty Rhodes tomato paste tub to transport my topping – the two fit together perfectly for easy transport of your packed lunch.
Need a recipe for soup to fill your jar? Soup recipes on Dish & Delite:
- chunky minestrone soup
- my grans pureed veggie soup
- leek & potato soup
- curried butternut & apple soup
Also check out my “Soup” Pinterest board for inspiration.