This month’s Recipe ReDux theme is Sowing Seasonal Seeds:
“Whether it’s a chilled chia seed pudding or a hearty roasted vegetable salad with a sunflower seed crunch, show us how you sow your favorite seeds in a recipe reflecting the season in your part of the globe.”
I include seeds a lot in my diet and in cooking – bars, salads or as a snack on their own – they are a great way to add flavour, texture and nutrients to a dish. This month I’ve decided to share a breakfast staple in my home, homemade muesli. It is very quick and easy to make and the recipe can be doubled or tripled allowing you to make ahead for days or weeks at a time or as a lovely gift for a friend.
- 230g (250ml) rolled oats
- 15ml brown sugar
- 30ml pecan nuts, chopped
- 30ml seeds – mixture of pumpkin, sunflower and flaxseeds
- 30ml cranberries, chopped
- 15ml desiccated coconut
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and then spread out on a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
- Bake for 10 – 12 minutes, stirring once or twice, or until the muesli is golden brown and fragrant.
- Allow to cool an then store in an airtight container.
– Serve raw, it is not necessary to toast your muesli mixture in the oven, you can enjoy it raw with milk or yoghurt.
– Add 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, ground ginger or citrus zest.