This month the theme for Recipe ReDux is Vintage Side Dishes.
My childhood is full of food-based memories. My gran and great-great-aunt (pictured here with me, my mom and my sister) were/are prolific cooks and bakers. There were always biscuits or cakes at in their homes and we used “help” my gran make crumpets from when we were tiny.
The very first thing that popped into my mind when I read this months theme was potato salad – I cannot think of a family gathering or braai in my childhood where there wasn’t a potato salad side dish. The potato salads in my memory where creamy and packed with mayo (no eggs – my mom doesn’t eat them), I chose to ReDux it by switching from regular mayo to half low fat mayo, half fat-free plain yoghurt and a dash of mustard for extra flavour. The result is a delicious, creamy, decadent dressing with just a third of the fat. I’ve also kept the skins on the baby potatoes for a bit of extra fibre.
- 12 baby potatoes (leave skins on)
- 3 peppadews, finely chopped
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons plain fat-free yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons low fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- salt and pepper, to season
- Cut the baby potatoes into bite sized pieces (leaving the skin on) and boil until tender.
- Drain the potatoes and allow them to cool.
- When the potatoes are luke warm, combine with all the other ingredients and serve.
Don’t forget to take a look at what other Recipe ReDuxers have whipped up this month.