We tried a new-ish French restaurant down the road from us a few weeks back. One of the lovely touches was that they put out peanuts and marinated olives for you to snack on with your drink. I do like olives, but wow, marinating them in herbs made them extra special. Marinating olives in aromatic herbs and a touch of lemon zest is a lovely way to enhance their flavor. I enjoyed them so much that I made some at home.
- 1 cup mixed olives of your choice
- 4 ml fresh thyme leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- zest of ¼ lemon (I used 2 curls from a peeler), cut into thin slivers
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and cut into slivers
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine all the ingredients and mix well.
- Decant into a sterilised jar. Refrigerate for 1 - 2 days (up to several weeks) - shake up the jars, to stir the ingredients several times.
Jars of marinated olives make great gifts!
Mix up a batch and them pack into pretty jars for a cute gift. I like these so much I’ve put together cute little gift tags you can download, print on card stock, cut out and attach with a ribbon – Voilà.