The theme for this month’s Recipe ReDux is Budget Eats:
How low can you go? Can you make a meal for less than $3 per serving? Whatever your budget, show us your healthy entree recipe to help keep food spending in check in 2017.
When M was still a student and into his internship and community service years cost-effective meals he could take with on 30-hour shifts were a big thing! Between leftovers and make-in-bulk to freeze we bumbled along but there definitely a few ready-meals thrown in there. That’s where the idea for this recipe comes from – I&J do a range of frozen curry box meals, and this used to include a delicious lentil curry, our favourite! They’ve long since stopped making this one, so I decided it was high time I tried to revive it and give it the ReDux treatment for a homemade healthy-twist:
- 1 cup dried brown lentils
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 heaped teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 heaped teaspoon crushed ginger
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (I use medium hot)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 tin (410 g) tomato puree or chopped peeled tomatoes, pureed
- 1 cup water
- Salt and pepper to season
- ¾ cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- optional: fresh coriander to garnish
- Cook the lentils as per the package instructions (I boiled for 20 - 30 minutes). Drain and set aside.
- Sauté the onion in olive oil until soft.
- Add the garlic, ginger, curry powder, turmeric and cayenne pepper and fry until fragrant.
- Add the tomato puree, lentils and water, season with salt and pepper and reduce the temperature to a simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally. Keep an eye on it in case you need to add a little more water.
- Stir through the evaporated milk and garam masala and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
Budget-wise this lentil curry comes in at R6.81 per serving (a mere 50 US cents) – what a budget win! January can seem like a LONG month, after the festive session, until your next pay check. For more of my tips to help reduce your food bill through both healthy and cost-effective choices check out my Healthy Eating on a Budget post.
Also be sure to check out what my fellow ReDuxers have come up with this month!