– Start off with a wholegrain carbohydrate base e.g. wholewheat bread, a seeded roll, wholewheat pita, pasta/noodles, wholewheat wrap, etc.
– For long-lasting brain and body power add a source of protein. Some good choices: lean cold meats, chicken, peanut butter, lean mince meat balls, beans, lentils, tuna, sardines, pilchards, cheese, egg, etc.
– Garnish with some salads
– And sauce, spread or topping e.g. low fat mayonnaise, sweet chilli sauce, hummus or guacamole is optional but not essential and remember that if you choose to use a topping, don’t use margarine as well as this increases the overall fat content
– Add a fruit – any fruit either fresh or dried.
– Don’t forget the liquids. Some good bets include: water, diluted pure fruit juice, low fat milk.
Remember to keep your lunch cool:
– Use a cool bag and pop in an ice-pack or freeze a carton of juice and place in with food to keep cool.
– Keep in the fridge until you need to leave if you make it in advance.
– Don’t store your lunch next to a heater or in the sun.
Some ideas for mid-day munchies you can try:
– Small wholewheat wraps filled with grilled chicken pieces, fat-free cottage cheese, shredded lettuce and grated carrot.
– Salad: Peach, chicken, greens and snow pea sprouts, cucumber, pistachio nuts, avocado and dressing (soy sauce + red wine + brown sugar + garlic).
– Mini seeded rolls filled with tuna salad, tomato slices, roasted red pepper slices, red onion and olives.
– Tapas & Mezze: Wholewheat pita bread cut into triangles with reduced fat-feta cheese cubes, rolled up lean shaved cold meat slices/lean mince meat balls/boiled eggs and finger salads e.g. celery, snap peas, baby carrots, baby corn, cucumber, baby tomato and dips e.g. hummus, salsa, guacamole, baba ghanoush, fat-free cottage cheese, sweet chili sauce, tzatzizki.
– Salad: Watermelon (diced), sliced lamb, rosemary, chili, mint, rocket, feta, olives and dressing (olive oil + lemon juice + Greek yoghurt).