For this month’s Recipe ReDux we are stirring up some of our earliest culinary memories and sharing our First Cooking Recollections:
Did you stand at your grandmother’s elbow to learn to cook? Or did you learn by stumbling through a cookbook by yourself? Share a healthy recipe and the accompanying story about one of your first cooking memories.
One of the first things I remember learning how to make on my own were “Cheese Puffs”. Simple cheese muffins of flour, salt, baking powder, grated cheese, butter, egg, and milk. The recipe always amuses me, with the amount of butter listed is “1 thin slice” – I truly have no idea how much that is supposed to be… But I remember proudly making them (and a huge mess) during school holidays.
Although more complex in flavour, higher in fibre and with some veggies thrown in, these are no harder to make – no fancy tools or machines needed, just throw together, bake and enjoy!
- 2 cups (250 g) cake flour
- 2 cups (250 g) wholewheat or nutty wheat flour
- 50 ml baking powder
- 400 g feta cheese, crumbled
- 18 peppadews, chopped
- 1 bunch spring onions, chopped
- salt and pepper, to season
- 4 eggs
- 200 ml milk
- 100 g butter or margarine, melted
- Combine the flours, baking powder, crumbled feta, chopped spring onions and chopped peppadews. Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk and melted butter/margarine.
- Stir the liquid ingredients in the dry ingredients carefully, until just combined.
- Bake at 180°C for 20 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
Be sure to check out my fellow ReDuxers cooking memories in the links below…