It’s Recipe ReDux time, this month we are sharing Bars & Bites for Brown Bags – Whether you pack your lunch in a bento box, a brown bag or a retro cartoon character lunch box, don’t forget the bars and bites. Small squares or round bites can pack nutrition into a sweet or savory taste. Show us your favorite way to jazz up any type of lunch box.
I really enjoy baking and often spend time on the weekend making lunchbox treats for the week ahead. A variety of my favourites have made it onto this blog: homemade energy bars, everything-but-the-kitchen-sink energy biscuits, crumble bars, and oatees bars.
When I saw this months theme, date bars were the first thing that popped into my mind. I have such fond memories of making and enjoying date biscuits, bars and bites in my lunchbox as a kid. The texture and sweetness really appeal to me and they are just so easy to make!
- 250 g pitted dates, roughly chopped
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon mixed spice
- 75 g margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 egg
- 1 packet (200 g) digestive biscuits, broken into small bits (not totally crushed)
- ¼ cup pecan nuts, finely chopped
- Combine the dates, sugar, ginger, mixed spice, margarine and vanilla essence in a pot and allow to simmer for 5 minutes or until the dates are melted. Stir constantly (do not allow to burn).
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Add egg and stir until bended.
- Add crushed biscuits and nuts.
- Press into a tin (~ 18 x 25.5 cm), lightly coated with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cool in the fridge for ½ hour and cut into fingers.
- Cover in wax wrap and store in the fridge.
Be sure to check out what other Recipe ReDuxer’s have got up to to this month…