We tried a fruit & veggie box delivery service for the first time in August. How exciting waiting to see what we’d get! Loved that the quantities made were great for a couple for a week (e.g. 3 onions) to limit waste. Shopping with a pram has introduced new challenges i.e. you can’t push a trolley and a pram (doh – so obvious, but hadn’t really crossed my mind before…). The fruit & veggie box also forces you out of your comfort zone of buying the same fruit & veg week in and week out. The lovely folks from Farm Fresh Online delivered a box heaving with yummy seasonal fruit & veggies. Our couples box contained:
To make sure the box worked for us, I felt meal planning out how everything would be used was key! How have we used our haul?
snacks: mainly used the fruit for snacks
salads: I bought some lettuce and used the baby corn, baby tomatoes, cucumber & carrots in salads
side dishes: cauli mash, boiled cauliflower topped with cheese sauce, boiled green beans, boiled carrots
incorporated into dishes: beef & black bean chili, cottage pie and the tasty curried butternut & apple soup recipe I’m sharing below.
any extra’s I have will be cooked, pureed, popped into ice cube trays and frozen for when Baby H is ready for solids.
- 45 g (3 tablespoons) butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 500 g or 4 cups (approx. half a large) peeled and diced butternut
- 1 green apple, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons medium curry powder
- a pinch of nutmeg
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1½ cups milk (of choice)
- salt and pepper to season
- to serve: diced crispy bacon or roasted, spicy chickpeas and crumbled feta cheese
- In a large, thick-based saucepan, gently melt the butter, sauté the onion to soften, then add butternut and apple, stirring to get a nice coating of butter and cook for 3 minutes or so.
- Add flour, curry powder and nutmeg, stirring to combine the mixture.
- Add chicken stock and milk and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to simmering point, cover and let the soup simmer very gently for a further 20 minutes or until the butternut and apple pieces are soft – if you have the heat too high the milk in it may cause it to boil over.
- Blitz with a stick blender until smooth and enjoy topped diced crispy bacon or roasted, spicy chickpeas and crumbled feta cheese (optional).