For this month’s Recipe ReDux the theme is Rise and Shine with a Savory Breakfast
The trend of protein-packed breakfasts is catching on…and back-to-school time is looming. This month, show us new healthy takes on eating savory or dinner-inspired dishes for breakfast. Think egg burritos, beans and rice, or maybe even pasta?!
I’ve talked before about our love for breakfast-for-dinner (BFD) around here (Spiralized Potato Breakfast Hash and Egg, Spinach & Mushroom Quesadillas are some of our favourites), but I have to say the reverse, dinner-for-breakfast isn’t something I’d really thought much of before… and why not? Savoury or dinner-inspired breakfast is such a great idea to add variety, veggies and protein to your morning meal!
As it happens I already had a surplus of veggies when my sister went away for three weeks and gifted us all her leftover produce, so I was applying my mind to coming up with ways to incorporate veggies into as many meals as possible. I ended up getting a beef stew, minestrone soup and this breakfast ratatouille out of my veggie haul. I love that breakfast ratatouille allows you to pack your morning meal with veggies – I feel like it really gets your day off on the right foot…
Another reason I love ratatouille – it’s just so versatile. It can be served hot, room temperature or even cold. You can make it ahead, cool and serve it the following day — I think the flavor may even be better the next day. Some ideas for uses of this big batch of ratatouille:
– alongside fresh crusty bread, topped with 1-2 fried eggs for protein punch and enjoyed for breakfast to feed a crowd (as below)
– enjoy over pasta, brown rice, quinoa or couscous
– tuck into a wholewheat wrap with cheese and lean beef/chicken
– it actually really works well as a side for practically everything: grilled meat, fish, chicken…
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 7 cups of diced vegetables (mixture of: red & yellow peppers, zucchini, fresh tomatoes, celery and eggplant)
- 1 tin (410 g) chopped peeled tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oreganum
- salt and pepper, to season
- 1-2 fried eggs per person served, as desired
- fresh crusty bread and basil (optional), to serve
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based pot or pan. Add the onion and garlic and cook until translucent.
- Add the diced mixed vegetables and saute to soften (5 minutes or so).
- Add the tinned tomatoes, sugar and oreganum and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally, then reduce heat, partially cover, and cook at a gentle simmer until vegetables are tender but not mushy (about 20 minutes).
- Just before serving fry 1-2 eggs per person.
- Serve ratatouille topped with egg(s) and fresh basil (optional) with a slice of crusted bread on the side.
Ooo and don’t forget to check out all the yummy recipes on this month’s theme from fellow ReDuxers (link below).