For this month’s Recipe ReDux we’re playing a little party game to end off 2016: Grab a Book & Cook
We’re each grabbing our nearest cookbook and ReDux-ing the recipe on page 201, 16, 216 – or any combination of the number ‘2016.’
This is the third year we’ve done a similar game and I’ve so enjoyed each post (in fact I made the crumble from 2013 again just the other day)!
I haven’t bought any new cookbooks recently so I decided to go with an old favourite and grabbed Donna Hay’s Simple Dinners and on page 16 is this beauty:
Now I am not very good at poached eggs…. So I decided to do a bit of a riff inspired by this recipe and go with baked eggs – still a gorgeous runny yolk but much less tricky!
These would work really well for a quick midweek supper or holiday breakfast / brunch as the recipe is easily multiplied for larger numbers and the tomato sauce (although it does only take all of about 15 minutes) could be made ahead of time.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ an onion
- ½ teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 tin chopped, peeled tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon oreganum
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper to season
- 4 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a saucepan cook the onion in olive oil until soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for about a minute.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, oreganum, sugar, salt and pepper and reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Divide the tomato mixture into 4 ovenproof ramekins.
- Top each ramekin with an egg and bake for about 12 minutes until the eggs are done to your liking (the white should be cooked through but the yolk still soft)
a dash of salt, grated cheese and toast soliders to scoop up the eggy-tomato deliciousness
Enjoy! And be sure to check out what my fellow ReDuxers have whipped up this month: