My freezer is always stashed with a little stock of frozen blueberries – they are my husbands favourite smoothie add-in and are great to have on hand for a gingery smoothie, berry couli or this cake. Should we have some apples “going begging”, this delicious, dense and fruity apple & blueberry cake is dangerously easy to throw together.
- 2 cups (240 g) cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup (80 g) butter or margarine, melted
- 100 g light brown sugar
- 150 ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 large or 2 small apples (I like to use a Granny Smith apple), peel on, thinly sliced
- 100 g blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the melted butter, sugar, milk and eggs and mix until well combined.
- Pour the batter into a 22 cm springform cake tin coated with non-stick cooking spray.
- Arrange the apple slices and blueberries on top of the cake batter, sprinkle with sugar and bake for 50 - 55 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin and serve with a dollop of plain yoghurt (or splash of cream for an even more decadent version).